[TriLUG] more network service problems

rasch at raschnet.com rasch at raschnet.com
Thu Aug 7 11:54:09 EDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:45:55AM -0400, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> hi all-
>
> i'm still having issues with the network services. i just reinstalled a
> fresh copy of RH 9, with default settings for the firewall (medium),
> but allowing incoming FTP and SSH. here is an outline of my problems.
>
> 1. after rebooting or restarting network services (services network
> restart), i can only ssh (in/out) or ping (in/out) for 2-3 minutes.
Any messages show up in 'dmesg' about driver errors, etc?

> 2. disabling iptables did not help (service iptables stop; chkconfig
> iptables off)
To ensure nothing gets blocked you can do this:
iptables -F
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

> 3. using lokkit to manage the firewall did not help (i tried to
> reconfigure the same medium settings, and even switched to 'no
> firewall'), but the network still times out
this should probably do the same as above.

> 4. throughout all of this, i can still PING localhost (i don't know if
> that matters)
Unfortunately this never enters the network driver.

> what else can i check?  this is driving me nuts!!  i just want to be
> able to sFTP in and out, that's it.

It seems to me that you'd be best to look at hardware/driver issues.
Try reseating your network card, or try a different slot.  Is it an ISA
or PCI card? Try a different cable.  Check "dmesg" as I said above to
see if you're having 10/100 full/half negotiation issues.  Try a
different hub.

Best of luck,
David