[TriLUG] Which file system to use

zzd zzd at nc.rr.com
Sat Aug 9 20:14:55 EDT 2003

If I remember correctly, Linux has the ability to read but not write to
an NTFS formatted partition, and therefore you can not install Linux
onto it. As for FAT, I am not so certain that you get more efficient
disk use from FAT anything. Ext3 and Reiser are more likely to store
files in contiguous blocks making reads and writes more efficient, in
addition to providing a journaled file system - but then you would not
be able to read anything stored on that partition from within windows.

So, if you can do without reading form this partion from within windows,
my advice would be to use Reiser or Ext3. Otherwise, use FAT - come to
think of it, I have never tried to install Linux on a FAT partiton, so
good luck if this is your choice.

Craig
[windows free - 2yrs and counting]