[TriLUG] VPN questions

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Tue Aug 12 15:19:48 EDT 2003

I would like to put a Linux server in a remote LAN where the LAN users
will access a web application running on the server.  I need that server
to connect to a database through a Cisco VPN concentrator or PIX across
the Internet.  I have looked at using the Cisco VPN client for Linux,
but it requires that UDP traffic be allowed inbound to the client.  I
can't allow this.

Can anyone suggest a solution that will use only client initiated
connections - preferably on TCP 443 ?

I am now looking at FreeS/WAN but this seems to be all about forwarding
traffic through a tunnel between private networks rather than a client
connecting via a tunnel.  As such my concern with freeswan is that
timeout induced reconnects will not necessarily be initiated from the
client (remote LAN) side.

--
Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com>
Global Knowledge