[TriLUG] PGP Signing at the next Meeting

Justin Johnson justin at deepbluesoftware.com
Wed Aug 13 00:05:34 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 22:09, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Once you have a key, all the information you need for the keysigning you
> can get by doing this command
>
> gpg --fingerprint <key id or e-mail address>
>
> For instance when I do that with my key this is the result:
>
> % gpg --fingerprint DE7639D4
> pub  1024D/DE7639D4 2001-09-25 Tanner Lovelace <lovelace at wayfarer.org>
> ~     Key fingerprint = A66C 8660 924F 5F8C 71DA  BDD0 CE09 4F8E DE76 39D4
> uid                            Wayfarer RPMS <rpms at wayfarer.org>
> uid                            Tanner Lovelace <lovelace at trilug.org>
> uid                            [jpeg image of size 2917]
> sub  1024g/3418E274 2001-09-25
>
> The first line gives the key size, type, and main e-mail address
> (1024 bits, DSS key).  The "Key fingerprint" should be obvious. :-)
> It also shows that I have 3 other user ids (an email address for
> rpms that I create and sign with this key, my trilug address,
> and a jpeg picture of myself.  :-)

COOL. Thanks. I believe I can handle that! :-) I'll dig into the docs
and figure out how to add additional user id's to my key that I
already have set up.

> Well, you could copy the files from ~/.gnupg/ on you laptop to your home
> desktop ( making sure you clear out the ~/.gnupg/ first or do it before
> ever running it on your desktop).  Alternatively, you can export the
> keys using ascii armor and import them on your desktop.  Note that you
> will have to export public and private keys separately.
I guessed right on this one! Woohoo! I didn't do anything with gpg on my
desktop yet, assuming it might be good to find out a little more
before doing so. I just copied the files over form my laptop, and
executing gpg --fingerprint justin at deepbluesoftware.com gave the
folllowing:
pub  1024D/F8AE4C96 2003-06-28 Justin Johnson
<justin at deepbluesoftware.com>
   Key fingerprint = 3C2F 0F72 9AFD 1B24 06DB  F3D1 E063 284C F8AE 4C96
sub  1024g/CD11A5E8 2003-06-28 [expires: 2004-06-27]

Looks like I'm getting there anyway.

> I was the one that gave the presentation.  It can be found here:
> http://www.trilug.org/~lovelace/presentations/gpg/

I thought it was you that diod the presenetation, but it has been a
while and I wasn't sure. I'll be perusing this soon.

> I understand it can be frustrating at times, and PGP/GPG is not
> the easiest thing in the world to understand in Linux or other OS's.
> But, welcome to the community and we're very glad your here.  If you
> have more questions, please ask away. :-)
Thanks Tanner. I'll try not to wear you guys out!.

Regards,
Justin