[TriLUG] OT: Dialup Firewall?

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 14:30:49 EDT 2003

Hi Everyone,
  I got a frantic phone call from my completely computer illiterate
father this morning. His home computer was getting hit with Master
Blaster. My folks have a dialup account with the local version of Bill
and Ted's Excellent ISP. They're in very rural PA. Since we all know how
good M$'s security is, does anyone know of a dialup version of the
little router/firewall appliances broadband users have? The idea of
their uncustomized XP machine hanging out on the internet scares me.
  I've done some poking around, but have not been able to find one.
Seems like there would be enough customers for such a product to exist.
  I am very comfortable with iptables, but I don't want to support a
dialup machine 600 miles away. They also don't have room for another PC.
I really need some kind of little appliance.

TIA,
Ken
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt