[TriLUG] Apache config file mistake?

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 14:34:31 EDT 2003

While doing some performance measurements this morning, I noticed
that our Apache server was not using persistent connections.
I checked the config file, and sure enough:
   KeepAlive  Off

This is not necessarily a mistake...just a configuration setting that
is probably not the best choice from most servers - enabling persistent
connections helps performance -- which is why I thought y'all might
be interested.  FYI, it was a RH7 box, I think (it's been updated
several times).

However, I just checked another server that I have recently installed
with RedHat 9 - and the setting says this:
   KeepAlive false

The config file comments state that "Off" is required to disable
persistent connections:

 > #
 > # KeepAlive: Whether or not to allow persistent connections (more than
 > # one request per connection).  Set to "OFF" to deactivate.
 > #
 > KeepAlive false

I ran a quick test - and persistent connections are turned ON with
this setting.  Which is exactly NOT what I get from "KeepAlive false".
It seems like a mistake - either in the default setting or the docs.
Am I just reading this wrong?  I wanted to get a sanity check before
I file a bug report on this.

Also, should I file this bug with RedHat, since (I assume) they've
customized it for their distribution?

--
Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com