[TriLUG] Advice on running an OSS project?

David R.Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Wed Aug 13 21:27:55 EDT 2003

Hello TriLUGgers --

I would like to solicit your advice and comments about starting and
managing a small-scale OSS project.  The things that immediately spring
to mind include:

- A simple web page to act as the projects' "home."  This would likely
include a  description the software and its (intended) functions, as
well as offer downloads and revision history.

- a Documentation section (which might include
download/compilation/install instructions, admin/programmer functions,
known bugs, FAQ, etc).

- Mailing List(s) for folks to gather more info and/or ask further
questions.  (Much like trilug - a Dev list in addition to the Main
communication list).

- Possibly a CVS repository (thus to facilitate contribution of
patches/fixes/etc).

Beyond that, I am not sure how much further you have to take it.

Initial discussions focus around a GPL'ed license for the project, but
I don't know enough about the legal protections and limitations to make
a skilled decision.  Plus, we are still awaiting the "Official
Permission" to Open Source our current work.

Sorry if this request seems rather nebulous and ignorant, but I was
hoping to get a thread going with some ideas about "What would be some
better ways to get off the ground" and "What nasty things you would
certainly want to avoid from the start."  Regardless, I value the
opinions of TriLUG members and think this could be a fun topic to
discuss fer a while.

Thanks!
dave m.

--