[TriLUG] Advice on running an OSS project?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 11:04:46 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 10:30, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Tarus Balog wrote:
>
> | I know this is somewhat obvious, but have you thought about
> | SourceForge? They have all of this at a great price (free).
>
> They also have a mound of debt and no end in sight.  In addition,
> their services can be problematic at times.  For instance, the
> CVS servers were almost completely unusable from oh about April
> until just recently.
>
> I really think VA Software isn't going to be around much more
> and when they die what happens to SF?  I'm not sure I'd
> want to trust my project these days on something like that. :-/
>
> But, you're right, the price is nice.

Another free service is http://www.tigris.org/
Their requirements for accepting a project are much more stringent than
SourceForge, so it might not work for everyone, but it seems to work
fairly well.  However, at times their CVS server is slow (but at least
it doesn't seem to be completely unavailable for large periods like SF).

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |