[TriLUG] Re: Cable Modem and Linux

Rick Thomas rbthomas55 at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 14:21:45 EDT 2003

My dad has RoadRunner.  The interface is standard Ethernet 10BaseT with
DHCP.  You should have no problem.

Unless you're doing fancy stuff with IP filtering, or running a public
access server, or have some other reason to want a direct connection to
the internet, I'd recommend getting a cheap ($50) router/firewall/NAT
and putting your home network behind it on a private address space.  It
greatly simplifies the life of the network admin (i.e. you).  It slows
down the crackers before they get to your machines, and gives you a
little breathing space to install security patches.  A firewall/NAT box
is not an excuse to ignore due dilligence, but every little bit helps.

I'm familiar with Linksys and SMC boxes, and can recommend both.

Enjoy!

Rick