[TriLUG] RHCE study group?

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Thu Aug 14 20:27:05 EDT 2003

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 08:06  PM, Kevin Flanagan wrote:

> 	A while back I recall a thread about a study group, is that happening?
> I got the OK to book the RHCE class in mid September, and have work
> pay.  I would like to get a start on the studying, some of the *ix
> skills are fairly rusty.

For what it's worth, the study guides that are available outside the
normal classes seem to lack accuracy in some areas.  I'm working on the
one by Michael Jang now and finding the instructions on rebuilding the
kernel to be inaccurate in several respects.  The Paper Tiger types
would probably freeze up and not go any further.  While the book may
give one an idea of what to focus on for the RHCE exam, I find myself
frequently going to more authoritative sources for individual
components.

I'm doing this on my own dime so it is definitely in my best interests
to pass on the first try.

The most valuable thing I've been able to do is take the fastest PC I
have and dedicate it to RHCE studies.  This means be ready to reformat
and reinstall as many as six or seven times in one day, invite people
to break it in ways that you can rescue it, etc.  While the NDA
prevents any RHCE from telling you what to do, I've gotten the wink and
nod from enough people that this approach is critical to preparation
for the practical part of the exam.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish