[TriLUG] Linux compatible USB Flash Drives

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 16:03:17 EDT 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> Really, they all should work fine with Linux.  These USB flash drives
> are one of the few devices, even the off-brand ones, that specify Linux
> compatibility on the package.  I haven't ever seen one that doesn't
> work, or doesn't specify Linux compatibility, which is pretty cool.  You
> just need a 2.4.x kernel, which shouldn't be a problem.
>
> --Jeremy

A quick note of warning - there is at least one brand of USB Flash Drive
that does not work with Linux.  I know because I inadvertently bought
one - Sandisk.  Their flash drives are not USB Mass Storage devices, and
definitely do not support Linux.

I would look for the phrase "USB Mass Storage" on the packaging.  I
replaced it with a Trekstore ThumbDrive Smart, and that worked fine.

Luck,

Scott C.