[TriLUG] Re: Mailman Setup?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 20 17:13:22 EDT 2003

Yes.  If you run the command (as root):
   /var/mailman/bin/check_perms -f

It will fix all the permission problems.  Of course, I think that is
actually in the rpm notes (oops, it's not!).

Jon

=== rpm notes ===
rpm -qi mailman
Name        : mailman                      Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 2.1                               Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 8                             Build Date: Fri 31 Jan 2003
04:48:13 PM EST
Install Date: Thu 19 Jun 2008 05:47:52 PM EDT      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM:
mailman-2.1-8.src.rpm
Size        : 15832679                         License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 24 Feb 2003 01:35:41 AM EST, Key ID
219180cddb42a60ePackager    : John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>
URL         : http://www.list.org/
Summary     : Mailing list manager with built in Web access.
Description :
Mailman is software to help manage email discussion lists, much like
Majordomo and Smartmail. Unlike most similar products, Mailman gives
each mailing list a webpage, and allows users to subscribe,
unsubscribe, etc. over the Web. Even the list manager can administer
his or her list entirely from the Web. Mailman also integrates most
things people want to do with mailing lists, including archiving, mail
<-> news gateways, and so on.

When the package has finished installing, you will need to:

* Run /var/mailman/bin/mmsitepass
to set the mailman administrator password.
* Edit /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
to customize mailman's configuration for your site.
* Modify the sendmail configuration to ensure that it is running and
accepting connections from the outside world (to ensure that it runs,
set "DAEMON=yes" in /etc/sysconfig/sendmail, ensuring that it accepts
connections from the outside world may require modifying
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc and regenerating sendmail.cf), and
* Add these lines:
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /var/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory /var/mailman/archives>
Options +FollowSymlinks
</Directory>
to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to configure your Web server.

Users upgrading from previous releases of this package may need to
move their data or adjust the configuration files to point to the
locations where their data is.