[TriLUG] Re: sendmail, mailman, and mm-handler

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Fri Aug 22 11:46:53 EDT 2003

 From http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2821/Output/chapter5.html

Once an SMTP client lexically identifies a domain to which mail will be
delivered for processing (as described in sections 3.6 and 3.7), a DNS
lookup MUST be performed to resolve the domain name [22
<http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2821/Output/chapter9.html#22>]. The names
are expected to be fully-qualified domain names (FQDNs): mechanisms for
inferring FQDNs from partial names or local aliases are outside of this
specification and, due to a history of problems, are generally
discouraged. The lookup first attempts to locate an MX record associated
with the name. If a CNAME record is found instead, the resulting name is
processed as if it were the initial name. If no MX records are found,
but an A RR is found, the A RR is treated as if it was associated with
an implicit MX RR, with a preference of 0, pointing to that host. If one
or more MX RRs are found for a given name, SMTP systems MUST NOT utilize
any A RRs associated with that name unless they are located using the MX
RRs; the "implicit MX" rule above applies only if there are no MX
records present. If MX records are present, but none of them are usable,
this situation MUST be reported as an error.

So, if you have no MX records, the MTA is supposed to check for an A
record and send it to the resulting IP address.  If you have MX records,
they better be able to accept your mail or the message will get bounced.

--[Lance]

 Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/
 Celebrate The Circle: http://www.angelfire.com/nc/celebratethecircle/
 My LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/labrown/