[TriLUG] identifying hard drive errors

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Sat Aug 23 12:51:00 EDT 2003

Usually /var/log/messages is very verbose with harddrive messages.  I'm
not sure what exactly to look for, but glance through there to see if
you see any warning signs.  If it is indeed a harddrive error.

What I'd do is boot the machine into single user mode (maybe off of
Tom's root boot or similar), turn off any swap space, and then run
memtest, or some other resource (non-disk) intensive job.  If the system
still hangs, you know it's not the disk, running hdparm on the disk
after a stability test may be enlightening.  Of course this may not
prove anything unless you can manage to boot the system using the same
kernel and drivers as is stored on the disk.  In any case, you'd
probably better back up any important data on that disk.