[TriLUG] broadband in the Triangle area

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 25 12:24:28 EDT 2003

I've been on RR for about 4 years and am on my 4th modem. Every time
there's been a serious issue with my connectivity, the first thing the
tech wants to do is swap out the modem. If I had owned my own modem, I
don't know how that would have effected their trouble shooting. It
scares me to think they'd have just said, "Your modem's bad and you need
to buy a new one.". Of the 4 I've had, only one actually went south. The
other times it was a line problem or a problem further upstream. I'm
going to continue to pay the $5/month. I feel like it's probably sped up
the resolution of my problem. Of course, I could be wrong, as I
frequently am.

Just my $0.02,
Ken

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 13:10, Ben Pitzer wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> If you already have a cable modem before setting your service up, tell the
> customer service rep that when you call to get an account.  They'll need the
> MAC of your modem to add into the system for provisioning.  If you already
> have service, and buy a modem, call customer service, and they'll provision
> your modem, deprovision your old modem, and you'll need to return the
> TWC-owned modem.  They can probably be able to tell you were you can do
> that.  From that point on, make sure your bill reflects that $5/month
> difference for ISP services.  Ask the CSR how that will show on your bill
> from there on out, and they should be able to tell you.
>
> Regards,
> Ben Pitzer
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt