[TriLUG] Assistance with Partition Sizes on New RH 9 Installation

zzd zzd at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 25 22:44:16 EDT 2003

On Monday August 25 2003 10:15 pm, Scot Huntsberry wrote:
> I am going to reinstall RH 9 tomorrow because my system has gotten so
> slow that it is ridiculous.  I was wondering if I could get some
> suggestions oh how to best partition a 50gb hard drive to maximize
> the efficiency of the system.  I would really appreciate any
> suggestions the group could provide.

If you are going to use the system as a desktop, the simplest thing to
do is have a single 50G root partition and maybe a 500M /boot
partition. I know a lot of folks on the list will disagree, but unless
you know exactly how you data will be distributed, this is as good a
choice for a desktop as any (KISS). For large partitions, I recommend
formating with Reiser, but ext3 will work fine.

If you are planning on using this as a server, what do you intend to use
it for, what type of data do you expect to use? This will determine the
most efficient and secure use of partioning your drive. Remember, there
is no "one way" to do this, all is dependent upon the use of the
computer in addition to your preferences.