[TriLUG] Assistance with Partition Sizes on New RH 9 Installation

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Tue Aug 26 08:25:32 EDT 2003

On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 11:05  PM, Joseph Tate wrote:

> I'd recommend just setting up LVM partitions at the getgo if you're
> going with RH9.  That'll make it a whole lot easier to allocate more
> space as needed, even if you add new disks.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my own recommendation of LVM, not only
can you allocate *more* space as needed, you can also allocate *less*
space as needed.

Remember the example I gave for growing /home?

Well let's say you allocated 8GB at install time for /usr but the
machine has been up and running for awhile, and you've only been using
a little over 3G in /usr.  You wish you had only allocated 4G to /usr.
Easy.

	1. # drop to single user mode
	2. umount /usr
	3. e2fsadm -L-4G /usr
	4. mount /usr
	5. exit

That will shrink /usr by 4G and re-allocate that space back to the
available pool in the LVM.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish