[TriLUG] Server DEAD!

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Aug 28 12:33:29 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 12:27, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 12:19, Joseph Tate wrote:
>
> > Seg Faults can also happen when you try to use the wrong version of
> > glibc, or kernel.  up2date should handle that properly though.  If you
> > can boot off a rescue disk, and then chroot to your system, run rpm -A |
> > grep kernel and rpm -A | grep glibc.
>
> If it's a problem with glibc, doing "chroot /mnt/sysimage" will not
> work, because that will use the messed up glibc on the system.
>
> Instead, use the --root argument to rpm.  This will use the working rpm
> and glibc binaries from the rescue environment to run rpm, but will
> check the databases and file system of the installed system.  For
> example:
>
> 	rpm --root /mnt/sysimage-q --queryformat
> 	'%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH}\n' glibc kernel
> (that should all be on one line)

Sorry, minor typo there; there's a space needed between "sysimage" and
"-q"

Joseph: quick question, what does the -A argument to rpm do?  Rpm
doesn't seem to have that option on my system (RHL 9).  Did you mean
"rpm -qa" ?

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |