[TriLUG] Server DEAD!

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Thu Aug 28 14:10:25 EDT 2003

I'm in the camp with Jeremy and the others who think it might be a
problem with glibc. I built a RH9 box from CDROM and then went to apply
the redhat updates that I rsync'ed from a mirror server.

The glibc update from redhat encountered an error during the RPM update.
After that I only got segmentation faults until I booted with the RH9
cdrom and entered rescue mode to reapplied the updated glibc rpm. After
that the system booted OK and has been fine ever since.

I've had the redhat glibc update fail on TWO totally different systems
to date. That's why I'm placing my vote in the updated glibc department.

- -Weave

Jeremy Portzer wrote:
| On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 12:27, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
|
|>On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 12:19, Joseph Tate wrote:
|>

|>>Seg Faults can also happen when you try to use the wrong version of
|>>glibc, or kernel.  up2date should handle that properly though.  If you
|>>can boot off a rescue disk, and then chroot to your system, run rpm -A |
|>>grep kernel and rpm -A | grep glibc.
|>
|>If it's a problem with glibc, doing "chroot /mnt/sysimage" will not
|>work, because that will use the messed up glibc on the system.
|>
|>Instead, use the --root argument to rpm.  This will use the working rpm
|>and glibc binaries from the rescue environment to run rpm, but will
|>check the databases and file system of the installed system.  For
|>example:
|>
|>	rpm --root /mnt/sysimage-q --queryformat
|>	'%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH}\n' glibc kernel
|>(that should all be on one line)
|>

| Sorry, minor typo there; there's a space needed between "sysimage" and
| "-q"
|
| Joseph: quick question, what does the -A argument to rpm do?  Rpm
| doesn't seem to have that option on my system (RHL 9).  Did you mean
| "rpm -qa" ?
|
| --Jeremy

- --

~  "My shoes are too tight and I've forgotten how to dance."
~   - Londo Mollari