[TriLUG] Server DEAD!

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Aug 28 14:50:20 EDT 2003

Well, you didn't have to reinstall; you could have simply installed a
new glibc with the procedure I outlined earlier (rpm --root from the
rescue environment; or a similar method for other distributions).

The only reasons I know of to reinstall a Linux system are:
	* hard disk failure (duh!)
	* root-kit installation
[If you have a good intrustion detection system, like tripwire, and you
really know what you're doing, it's POSSIBLE to clean a rootkit without
reinstalling.  But you'll never be sure if you've cleaned it completely
or not.]

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |