[TriLUG] LVM issue - Making /var larger

hhuntsberry at fbi.gov hhuntsberry at fbi.gov
Mon Sep 1 12:54:47 EDT 2003

I recently did a fresh installation on my home
computer (RH 9).  I used the LVM option during
installation and set it up with a 500M /var
partition.  I figured this would be large enough.
 So here is my issue.  I had a problem using rpm
and discovered that my /var partition is almost
full.  I am not sure why the /var partition is so
full.  However, I wanted to increase the size.
But to increase the size, the directions I read
said I needed to umount the fs before changing the
size.  Well, I know I cannot  umount the /var
partition.  So can someone tell me how to increase
the size of the LVM /var partition.  Thanks.

-Scot