[TriLUG] LVM issue - Making /var larger

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Mon Sep 1 16:43:51 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 02:35  PM, hhuntsberry at fbi.gov wrote:

> I did the init 1 command and then attempted to
> umount /var, but it would not let me?  I get an
> error message indicating that /var is busy.  Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Another way to do it is to reboot the machine, then at the grub menu
select the option for editing command line arguments and add the word
"single" to the end of the command line.

That will boot you directly to a root shell without any login prompt.

You can then:

umount /var
e2fsadm -L+500M /path/to/logical/volume/device/for/var
mount /var
exit

Note carefully the e2fsadm syntax.  After the "-L", without any space,
put a "+" followed by a number followed by "M" for "Megabytes".  If you
leave out that plus sign you're going to resize your partition to
exactly 500M instead of growing the filesystem by 500 megs.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish