[TriLUG] OT: new DSL modem from bellsouth

Dan Monjar daniel.monjar at na.biomerieux.com
Tue Sep 2 09:56:44 EDT 2003

--On Tuesday, September 02, 2003 08:57:11 AM -0400 Ryan Leathers
<ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com> wrote:

> If your new modem is handling the authentication then I expect thats
> where the PPPoE terminates as well.  This is a slick way for the DSL
> provider to ease the support burden by removing the need for a software
> client on a PC.  In the case of a residential router you will need to
> configure the "WAN" port for Ethernet rather than PPPoE.

Good for them... confusing for me <grin>.

I went ahead and plugged everything up as is and it worked.  So my router
is still authenticating.  the modem's address is 192.168.1.254 and my
router is at 192.168.0.1. With the router in the chain I couldn't get to
them modem to tinker with its settings.  I imagine is is a route problem
and I will need to take the router out of line and hook the pc straight to
the modem to make the changes.  My kids were jonesing without Internet for
a week and once I got it working they wouldn't let me take it down <grin>.

--
Dan