[TriLUG] IPTABLES and XDMCP still mean to me

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Tue Sep 2 17:10:46 EDT 2003

Okey,
 I've tried everything Ken has suggested but to no go.

Here's what I've done:

- I have the machine locked down with IPTABLES. If I stop IPTABLES,
XDMCP works fine.

- I used the following lines while IPTABLES was running, but XDMCP
didn't work:

	/sbin/iptables -A tcp_inbound -p TCP -s 0/0 --destination-port 6001 -j
ACCEPT
	/sbin/iptables -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 6001 -j
ACCEPT
	/sbin/iptables -A tcp_inbound -p TCP -s 0/0 --destination-port 177 -j
ACCEPT
	/sbin/iptables -A udp_inbound -p UDP -s 0/0 --destination-port 177 -j
ACCEPT

The command I'm using to start the XDMCP connection is "X :1 -query
servername".

According to TLDP howto, port 177 is all that I need, and Ken suggested
opening 6001. I've done both, opened both UDP and TCP as above and to no
avail. Any ideas?