[TriLUG] [Maybe OT]: SSL certificates

ryan wheaton ryan.wheaton at comcast.net
Wed Sep 3 13:49:46 EDT 2003

It's only maybe OT cause I'm using apache on linux servers :-)

but...  i'm new to SSL certificates, and was wondering if there was a
way to get a site wide SSL certificate instead of having one per
machine.  We're going to have a web server environment with multiple
servers behind a load balancer, and we don't want our customers to have
to accept a certificate 4 or 5 times depending on which machine they hit
on that particular occasion.

i was thinking that I could just do a DNS round robin set up as a "load
balancer" so that the user hit the same machine every time they goto the
site, that way we can have one certificate per machine and our users
will only have to accept it once.

any idears on this?

-ryan