[TriLUG] [Maybe OT]: SSL certificates

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 3 14:47:16 EDT 2003

I've just setup a client for using his own CA and wrote out the specs in
a how-to like fashion.  If you want, I'll be happy to share them (with
the client specifics removed).

If you are doing DNS round-robin then that is going to be the best way
of doing SSL - unless you simply use a separate host name for the SSL
and only have it done on one server.

When I set this up for a former employer, I used the LVS to front-end
for several back-end servers, including servers running SSL.  The
front-end was all one IP Address so we only needed one cert, and then we
put that cert on each of the back-end boxes.  That was years ago and
it's still up and running without any problems.

The nice thing about using the LVS was that you could maintain state
(the end-user would end up at the same back-end server as long as they
made a request before a specific time-out period), but if the server
went down, they were transparently shuttled to a new server.

I don't think you get that with a DNS-round-robin; but it is a simpler
setup.

Jon