[TriLUG] xinted and pop - how do they work together?

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Thu Sep 4 12:57:22 EDT 2003

Jon Carnes wrote:
> If xinetd is running then it should be working, still your system sounds
> like it took a real hit...
>
> Try connecting to it manually and see what happens:
>   telnet localhost 110

This works locally, but not remotely.  This tells me it's a problem
with the firewall rules.  However, this machine was previously behind
a NAT firewall/router with port 110 open - and mapped to this machine.
The only change is the machine is now directly connected to the cable
modem with no firewall in-between.  If the firewall rule disallowed
a port 110 connections from outside the local network, how could it
work when the firewall was in place?

Chris Merrill                      |  http://webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.               |  http://webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software