[TriLUG] gtoaster as a user

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 15 13:29:05 EDT 2003

On Monday 15 September 2003 12:56 pm, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One can tell sudo not to prompt for a password. I have the following
> lines in my sudoers file:
>
> Cmnd_Alias VPN=/root/pppd-cat.sh
> tunnel  ALL=NOPASSWD: VPN
>
> where 'tunnel' is a user on my computer.
>
> Adding the user to the cdrom group on Debian works (with kernel 2.6)
> since cd-writing can be done with the IDE drivers instead though the
> ide-scsi stuff. Making the device file world writable works
> too. xcdroast has an option to make the xcdroast binary setuid root
> (look at chmod).
>
> -Nathan
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:40:25PM -0400, Dan Monjar wrote:
> > --On Sunday, September 14, 2003 10:44:51 PM -0400 Ken Wahl

> > >With sudo?
> >
> > then he'll be annoyed entering in his user password <grin>.... maybe
> > setting the perms on the cd device to world writeable?
> >
> > --
> > Dan
> >

> > --

Although I do not have the expertise to describe what you must do, when I got
 my last Mandrake system installed I asked the installer to make it possible
for me to be able to access the very program you mentioned without using the
root password.  It has been some time ago but I believe he just changed the
permissions for just that program. In my humble opinion, I don't understand
why someone should have to use a root password to burn a disk, as long as
that's the only thing that can be done remotely via the web. So I'd suggest
you just get the permissions for that program changed. I've had no problems
at all on my desktop (I'm not a "server-fan" yet). --- Al Johnson.