[TriLUG] Weird SSH behavior

Tarus Balog tarus at blast.com
Mon Sep 15 14:20:46 EDT 2003

Okay, on Red Hat Linux 9, two boxes, I have the following issue.

Over time, the number of sshd processes will grow. When it reaches ten
processes (most of them defunct), sshd will stop taking connections
(per the default).

Has anyone else seen this?

It may actually be an OpenNMS issue. Chris Hedemark complained that our
SSH poller never sent a version number, so it would cause a number of
logs to be generated. I modified the poller to send the version string,
and the logs went away, but I wonder if there is something else I need
to do.

I am not positive this is the case, because as I watch the process list
I can see the processes that OpenNMS starts, and they eventually clear.

-T

___
Tarus Balog							Main:		+1 919 545 2553
Blast Internet Services, Inc.			Fax:			+1 919 542 5955
Email: tarus at blast.com					URL: http://www2.blast.com/tarus
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C