[TriLUG] OT: IP security cameras

P. L. Charles Fischer fischer at zedec.com
Mon Sep 15 21:48:54 EDT 2003

OK, lets see if we can do this for as little cost as we can, which may not
get you to Nirvana.

First to keep the cost down lets look at the camera options:

1) IP Camera that does what you need may be impossible. Color with JPEG
output, no problem. Motion detection a strong possibility. Color with night
vision, I have not seen one. A problem will be the interlaced image from
most of the cameras. A low resolution (320x240) will not have interlace,
but if you want higher resolution (640x480) you will need to find a
progressive scan camera.

Another option is to use a mini-itx (see
<http://www.mini-itx.com/>www.mini-itx.com, or look at old TriLUG e-mails
for details) form factor board, with a cheap BT-484 based frame grabber.
This will allow you to use about any NTSC or PAL camera with S-Video or
composite output. The cost is about $350 for the mother board, power supply
and frame grabber. There are two advantages to this approach, first is that
you can find a camera that better suites your needs, and you have a lot
more flexibility. The down side is more work and a lot more flexibility.
Another small advantage is that you can grab single fields at 640 by 240
resolution from a cheap interlace camera.

The last option is to use a digital camera and a mini-itx system. Look at
<http://www.gphoto.org/>www.gphoto.org for supported cameras. This would
allow you to snap images via USB or FireWire then save the images over the
network at a very high resolution, but slow rate.

I have a program that runs on RedHat 9 that uses a BT-484 frame grabber and
S-Video camera to do timing for bike time trials. It does adaptive
background subtraction for the motion detection. It should be very easy for
me to adapt it to your needs (at no cost, it is something I have been
wanting to do anyway). The program does use proprietary image processing
libraries, so I cannot give you full source code.  I can give you the C
files and binary versions of the libraries.

Good luck
Charles Fischer