[TriLUG] large-scale patch rollouts?

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 16 18:20:34 EDT 2003

apt (in either Debian or any RPM distro) is not a thing that should probably
be put in a cron job.  All too often it requires some level of user
interaction to configure packages, or in Debian's case, can leave some
packages un-updated because of new file dependencies that are missing.  For
example, if gaim requires a new widget library (libfoo) package that is not
installed, it will be held back during update time until you either 'apt-get
install gaim', which will treat it like a newly installed package, and get
all dependencies, or else install libfoo (although apt doesn't tell you why
it's holding the package back, or what is missing), and 'apt-get upgrade'
again.

I manually upgrade my Debian server with apt on a weekly basis.  The only
think I'll cron is the email to remind me to do it, or 'apt-get update' and
a dry run of 'apt-get upgrade' to tell me what all has an updated to be
installed.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
 --Ben Franklin--