[TriLUG] windows is now open?

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Fri Sep 19 13:53:08 EDT 2003

In the vein of 'it depends on what the definition of is is'
Wired has an article today about ATMs running windows.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60497,00.html

Quote of interest:

[Gwenn Bezard] concluded the banking industry is ready to scrap IBM's
OS/2 operating system, which powers most ATMs today. They would prefer
Windows, a platform they consider "open" in that it is compatible with
their internal corporate networks.

I sure wish I found that statement funny.
With logic like that, it's no wonder my savings account only
has an interest rate of 1%. I wonder what their interest rates
would be if tney traded up to Linux instead of Windows?

- mark