[TriLUG] Wireless access

rasch at raschnet.com rasch at raschnet.com
Tue Sep 23 11:27:29 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:48:37AM -0400, Tanner Lovelace <lovelace at wayfarer.org> wrote:

> You'll want to look into point-to-point connections, absolutely.
> Be warned, though, that there are severe power restrictions on
> unlicensed radio devices and the gain from an antenna is included
> in those calculations.  If their signal interferes with anything,
> for just about any reason, the FCC can and will order it shut down.

You might look at how the different community wireless projects deal
with these restrictions.  I know that Seattle Wireless for one has
several long-range point-to-point links which may or may not be running
with FCC endorsements (though I'd be interested to hear).  You can take
a look at their website: http://seattlewireless.net or visit their irc
channel with questions.

David