[TriLUG] Job wanted: Looking for 1/2-time Linux position in RTP

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 24 10:46:45 EDT 2003

  (Side note:  I looked at the variety of TriLUG lists specifically for a
"job wanted" list, but didn't see one, so I'm hoping I'm not violating the
mandate of this list.  Well, at least, not too horrendously.  And anyone
who wants to chat after reading this, by all means, drop me e-mail
offline.)

  Hi, Rob Day here, for those with moderately long memories.  Having been
a member of TriLUG in the past, I've spent the last year or so back in my
home country of Canada, but I'm really interested in getting back to NC in
the near future.

  Being a Canadian, that means I need to get an official, real, salaried
job -- that is H1B visa, as contract or hourly work is not acceptable in
this situation.  So here's what I'm looking for.

  Ideally, I'd love to find a *half-time* position -- not full-time --
as I'm in the midst of writing a slew of Linux-related courseware that
some colleagues here in Canada and I want to start marketing once they're
done.  Details aside, all that means is that I need a fair bit of time
to just sit at home and type, which is the rationale for just a half-time
gig.

  It occurred to me that one possibility is to find a spot as a half-time,
in-house Linux person at some sizable RTP company, who can teach courses,
do some mentoring, part-time administration, etc., but for which the
company still doesn't see the need for a full-time position.  Perhaps the
most appealing aspect of this sort of thing is my ability to teach
in-house (Linux, UNIX, shell, Perl), if a bunch of people need some
training.  (I've been training professionally for over 10 years, so
I know my way around a lectern.)

  Just off the top of my head, other duties could be advising on Windows
to Linux migration possibilities, that sort of thing.

  Like I said, I'm really only after a half-time job for now, but that
may match up very well with some local corporation who only *needs* a
half-time person.  And besides Linux, lately I've gotten pretty heavily
into XML and Docbook (all my new manuals are written using DocBook and
FOP for generating PDF, for anyone who has a clue what that means. :-)

  Anyway, if anyone has any pointers or knows someone who knows someone
... well, you get the idea.  Despite your weird political system, bizarre
economy and randomly-generated terror alerts, I still miss NC.  So drop
me a note if you want to chat further.

rday