[TriLUG] SSH needs updating again.

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Sep 24 20:08:43 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 19:48, Magnus Hedemark wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 September 2003 10:32 am, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure I really want something upgrading packages without
> > me knowing.  What if an update breaks something?  What if it
> > breaks the updating mechanism?  You're screwed then.  I'd much
> > rather have it send me an e-mail with a list of the updates that
> > are available and let me do it.
>
> Change the flag in the cront job to add "-d" to yum and it will download the
> packages that are available without installing them.  Pipe STDOUT into mail.

Actually, one of the neat things about cron is that you don't have to
pipe the STDOUT to mail; cron will do that automatically for you.  Just
don't send the standard output anywhere, and you'll get the response
mailed to the user who owns the crontab.

If you want the mail to go to a different account, you can put a MAILTO
environment variable above the relevant cron entry.  (It applies to all
subsequent cron entries also.)

Of course, if it's in root's crontab, root's mail should be redirected
to someone else, through /etc/aliases (or /etc/postfix/aliases or
whatever). Therefore you won't need the MAILTO stuff unless you want
that section to go to someone else.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |