[TriLUG] My server hacked

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 25 16:06:32 EDT 2003

What OS is your server?  If you are running Red Hat or Mandrake, you can
boot using the Install/rescue CD and then check the integrity of
libraries and applications using the rpms.

If your server has been rooted, then you'll need to use external
applications to find the contaminated files.

You might find it simpler to simply save off your /etc directory and any
other configurations files and then do a re-install (then update every
service and make sure your firewall is up-to-snuff!).

If you save the /etc files then be sure to check on your passwd file and
to assign different passwords to root and all other users.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes