[TriLUG] Licensing software

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Sep 29 13:47:59 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Randy Crews wrote:

> I'm looking for open source software to embed in a program that controls
> licensing and time limits for trials.
>
> Any suggestions
>
> Randy

Um, that seems horribly ironic.

I'm not sure that you'll find many open source developers working on such
a thing, since its use goes against the pihlosophy.

Plus, such software couldn't be licensed under the GNU GPL, which doesn't
allow GPL'd software to be a portion of non-Free software.  (Free in the
"freedom" sense, not the "beer" sense.)  Though a BSD-style license might
be feasible.

--Jeremy