[TriLUG] Sound Blaster on Mandrake 9

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 22:14:43 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 21:52, Raymond McGill wrote:
> Ok, here is the story. WhiteBox generic computer with fresh install of
> Mandrake 9. All works except sound card. Did find and there is no
> sndconfig anywhere to be found. I don't know of a way to manually
> enumerate an ISA bus. The missing sound card is an 8 bit Sound Blaster
> ISA card. Worked well for windows...
>
> 1. Suggestions on how to install this soundcard? (Yes, I am recent to
> linux. I need to ramp up, so I just went cold turkey to Mandrake.)

Hmmm, I did mine the hard way.  I wrote out a list of all possible
configurations for the Sound card and then manually plugged through it
till I got it working.

This way might work:
http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/newbie/2002-10/msg01171.php

Also, I once used an old copy of RedHat to help me zero in on an old ISA
soundcards proper settings.  That worked fairly well - but all it used
as "sndconfig" which should be available for Mandrake 9 (though it might
not be loaded by default).

Good Luck - Jon Carnes

BTW - you can get a PCI soundcard for $15 and avoid all the hassle.