[TriLUG] problem with dial-up to Earthlink from Linux box

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Sep 30 07:50:16 EDT 2003

I'm having trouble connecting to Earthlink from a Linux box. I can connect
to another local ISP (Portbridge) just fine from all 3 of my 56k modems,
using the same scripts.

When trying to connect to Earthlink, two of the modems (external serial,
one is a Hayes Accura V90, the other a Prime Peripherals - don't know
chipset sorry) start with the usual sequence of warblings, to then go into
a series of tones (including a low one) that I've never heard before, to
wind up hung in a continuous tone (I have to kill pppd). THe 3rd modem (a
laptop) connects with the normal sounding series of tones.

I need to be able to connect to Earthlink with the two modems that
currently won't connect, since Earthlink has local phone numbers at the
connection site, but Portbridge is long distance. I've tried various
combinations of modem init strings, all of which allow me to connect to
Portbridge but not to Earthlink.

The Earthlink website is of no help and only supports windows machines
etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Joe
mailto:jmack at wm7d.net - azimuthal equidistant map