[TriLUG] Re: NVidia drivers cause Segmentation Faults in RH9 and Fedora Core beta

crimsun at crimsun at
Thu Oct 2 14:59:52 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 11:49:19AM -0700, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:
> So I went ahead and bought a new NVidia card, I wont use ATI and I wont
> use any of those el cheapos everyone else sells. Everything works fine now
> under Red Hat Linux 9, Open Office runs, XMMS runs fine, everything starts
> and boots like it should except for Jahshaka binary on the web site but I
> did a compile from source and it started working.  I also switched out the

Sounds like you may have had damaged hardware previously.

> stressed tested the whole thing and it seems okay.  But Fedora Core still
> acts funny, it will boot and now I get GDM and it will boot into the OS
> but it takes exactly 52 minutes to boot from the NVidia splash screen, the

Ah yes, we've seen this a lot with the 1.0-* x86 drivers. You should try
using specific modelines if you have a resolution you prefer. I also
recommend adding a few lines to your /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Option      "IgnoreEDID" "true"
Option "NoBandWidthTest" "true"
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP, TV"

These would go into your Device section. The last line assumes you are
using a regular CRT monitor as opposed to a flat panel.

The modeline generator can be found in www.sh.nu under the nvidia
section. Try the php front-end.

> techs at NVidia when i called back told me it had something to do with the
> modes and that as soon as the specifics of Red Hat 10 aka Fedora Core came
> out that they will make the enhancements, I told them that Fedora Core was
> already available as a download for Beta, they said they will not write
> any new drivers based on a beta build but that they wait for the final
> release of the OS.

Yep, it's Nvidia's policy not to support non-stable releases. Several of
us have hacked up kernel 2.[56] support; I'm pretty sure you can find
some info regarding Fedora Core on nvnews.net under the Linux section.

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc