[TriLUG] Odd GNOME and X Problem

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 6 10:35:41 EDT 2003

Hello John,

There's some clues in the Linux Laptop HOWTO.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html

You can apparently modify your /etc/X11/XF86Config file to have separate
"Subsection \"Display\" subsections in the "Section \"Screen\" stanza.
This approach would require you to use different color depth levels for
the Notebook's LCD and the external monitor.  Then you could start X
with the different args for setting the bpp levels depending on which
one you're using.

Look at the hint in 10.2.9:
> From Steve <steve at cygnet.co.uk> I got a configuration for X windows
 > with an external monitor: Note that I have introduced a neat trick!
 > For my nice 17" monitor I start X with no options and get the default
 > 16-bit 1152x864 display - but when using the LCD screen I specify a
 > 15-bit display (startx -- -bpp 15) and get the correct 800x600
 > resolution automatically. This saves having to have two XConfig
 > files.

If this works, it might be a good idea to disable the notebook's screen
while using the external monitor to keep it from being overdriven.

I found some other discussions about this by googling on "linux laptop
external monitor resolution", but it seems like a work in progress from
the discussions I saw.

Luck,

    Scott C.