[TriLUG] Broadband Speeds

Reginald Reed reginald at cisco.com
Tue Oct 7 12:06:03 EDT 2003

You absolutely can not talk about these technologies as flatly as you
have below.  There are so many different ways to implement both cable
and DSL and trust me, they are not all created equally.  Example:

Small DSL remote terminal with a T1 as the uplink servicing 10's of
subscribers is in no way as good as a customer connected directly to a
DSLAM in a CO that sits very close to the service provider's backbone or
fat pipe to the internet.  Both of these implementations are called DSL,
but the latter is vastly superior.

Same thing with cable.  The amount of fiber in your network makes a
world of difference when it comes to available bandwidth.  If the
network is deployed with hundreds or thousands of users connected to a
single fiber trunk (remember we're talking hybrid fiber coax - HFC).
This would limit the amount of both downstream and upstream bandwidth.
But with the same infrastructure and enough fiber (notice all the fiber
being laid *everywhere*?), you can simply install more fiber trunk
points to increase bandwidth.

The bottom line is even as a shared technology, do not discount the
ability of cable networking solutions to scale to incredibly high
speeds.

--Reggie