[TriLUG] Good distro for laptops?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 7 12:16:14 EDT 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Since kernel 2.6 has not be released yet, it will not be in the main
> Mandrake 9.2 distro.  Looking at the latest cooker, however, I see
> it is available as a package in contrib, so if you're really
> stupid^H^H^H^H^H^Hbrave you can try it. :-)

i've been running the 2.5.xy kernels for some time on my RH system,
and am currently up to 2.6.0-test6-bk7.  the great thing about having
done this is that there won't be any traumatic leap for me from
2.4 to 2.6.  it was nice and gradual, and i could tweak the new
problems as they arose.

at this point, with fedora core, it's pretty well mindless to drop
in a 2.6 test kernel and have it work out of the box.

rday