[TriLUG] Yet another mail question

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 13 10:58:35 EDT 2003

Justin,

I know I'm chiming in a little late on this, but here are my suggestions:

I'd agree with everything you said here, but watch out for Cyrus IMAP.  It
can be a bear to install and configure.  I tried it on my Debian box, both
compiling, and packages, and quite frankly never got it to work correctly.
I've got Courier IMAP working now, although I'm not sure I'm all that
impress with the Maildir storage format that it requires (Postfix does store
to Maildir formats, but it's not the first choice).  I think I'd be happier
with Cyrus IMAP, if I could ever get it working.  Ah, well.  Perhaps one day
soon.

UW-IMAP, as John Carnes suggested, is easy to configure and install.
However, there have been many discussions that I've noticed on the periphery
that suggest some significant security issues with UW-IMAP.  Now, noting as
I must that any server software you have running is a potential security
breach, I'd also say that you could probably do better security-wise with
Cyrus, or even Courier for that matter.  But as always the choice is up to
you.  UW-IMAP might be right for you, and while I'm not 100% sure of what
the security issues with UW-IMAP are, you might be able to mitigate the
risks with adequate firewall protection.

If you do decide to go with Cyrus, there are a number of folks here in
TriLUG who have set Cyrus up successfully, although I've yet to hear of one
that did it easily.  Perhaps you can get one of those to step up and give
you a hand if you run into trouble.  If they do, please let me know who they
are, because I would like their assistance some day. *grin*

Good luck.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
 --Ben Franklin--