[TriLUG] Linksys WPC11 v.4 (wireless PCMCIA)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 14 18:02:09 EDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Frye, Matthew wrote:

> 	This whole business of changing the chipset, but not the model
> number, is very discouraging.  There's a great deal of confusion on the net
> over what card uses which chipset and thanks to these vendors, people are
> only learning what doesn't work.  Documentation and experience are becoming
> sparse as the rapid pace, at which newer cards are released, increases.
> Netgear advocates the use of the MA401 for Linux and provides drivers for
> the 401 on RH7.3 and RH8, but these are useless to anyone who buys a new
> card.  On the other hand, Netgear and BestBuy both tell me that the MA401 is
> no longer available.  Plus, the only documentation on the Netgear site on
> the MA521 was a Spanish version of the Windows ME install guide.

FYI, it appears that Stayonline (http://www.stayonline.com/) still sells
the MA401.  Not that this will help you too much.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by changing the chipset without changing
the model number.  Linksys changed from WPC11v3 to WPC11v4.  Netgear
changed from MA401 to MA521.  D-link added a "+" to the model number (not
as obvious, but still a change).

--Jeremy