[TriLUG] Newbie: Kernel Question

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 14 21:15:42 EDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Adalita Brown wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm using RH9, kernel 2.4.20-8.  At this time, my linux machine has no
> connectivity to the Internet and not able to download the latest RPMs.
> I would like to download the kernel 2.4.20-20.9 from the TriLUG FTP site
> but am confused which folder to select: i386, i586 and i686.  My OS
> kernel type is i686 and my CPU kernel type is i386.

I'm not sure what you mean by "OS kernel type" vs. "CPU kernel type".  If
you have a Pentium II, III, or IV, or a Celeron, you probably should use
the i686.  If you have an Athlon or Duron, use the "athlon" folder.  Only
if you have a regular Pentium do you need to use the i586 folder.

If you don't know what the processor is, check /proc/cpuinfo.

> Also, I'd like to know if I need to compile the kernel 2.4.20-20.9.

No, unless you have a very good reason, or just really want to, you do not
have to recompile the kernel.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy