[TriLUG] [OT]proper disposal of old computer equipment

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 15 16:42:25 EDT 2003

Well there might be another option!!  On Nov. 16th there is a hamfest in
Benson in Johnston County, and if the weather is good there will be
"tailgating spaces" for sale which most people use to sell equipment for
which they no longer have any use, and they will sell a lot of it if the
proverbial price is right.  You never know when the junk you have is just
what someone else is looking for, take ISA modems for example, most people
would consider them obsolete junk, but those of us in the Linux world know
better, considering the lack of PCI modems which won't work on Linux.  So
there will no doubt be someone looking for an ISA modem which will work on
Linux.
Furthermore, amateur radio operators are people who love turning one guys'
junk and trash into something they can use for their radio hobby.  So if you
want to take the time you might be able to get a few bucks back from all the
computer junk you have.  Even electronic parts can be very valuable--- e.g.
transformers, and transistors, and lots of individual electronic parts that
are not broken in non-working computers can be useful to those who know how
to use them.

You will have to purchase a entrance ticket and a tailgating ticket for a
space, but historically these prices are just about $10-15 together (I don't
know what they're charging this year, but I'll learn this coming Thursday
night).  Yeah, you probably might not want to waste a day with your junk, but
if you don't mind wasting a day, you might not have to take it to the
recycling center. To get rid of it, you have to take it somewhere anyway
don't you??
P.S. Incidentally, the ham club that sponsers this event usually has one or
more large garbage containers which you may be able to use if you don't get
rid of what you were trying to sell.  In fact, there is actually a name for
fetching electronic trash out of a dumpster, it's called "dumpster diving".
----73  Al Johnson  KQ4FP.