[TriLUG] Linux intro book recommendation?

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Thu Oct 16 14:36:51 EDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Christopher L Merrill wrote:

> Today my BIL asked me "How hard would it be to get linux running
> on our desktop to replace Win98 and MSOffice."
>
> I have no problem sending a 'techie' to the right resources to get
> started...but he is not a 'techie'.  Stricly an end-user type.
> I told him he needs to get a good book to explain the key differences
> between the OSes and what to expect.  I was thinking 'book' because
> a website will not help him when he gets stuck halfway through the
> configuration process :>
>
> What 'Idiot's Guide to Linux' books do y'all recommend?

I like Sobell's book "A Practical Guide to Linux". I saw in a bookshop
that it had been updated to a Redhat specific guide.

I also used to own

LINUX: Installation, Configuration, Use
by Michael Kofler

It is a nice book but now unfortunately rather out of date. Still, it
might work well for someone who is new to the area.

                                                       Faheem.