[TriLUG] roadrunner woes

Joseph F Garvey jgarvey at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 17 10:37:31 EDT 2003

Something like you described happened to me in April.

The network is being upgraded to run faster. Problem
is that a lot of connections to the street were done with
cable that has too much loss or is too long (my problem).

The solution was to run a new cable in my yard to support
the faster speeds.

The only problem I have now is that Roadrunner seems
to have also introduced QoS (my guess)... so I get a steady packet
loss of 1% to 30% (mostly towards the lower end) of packets,
and wildly varying packet latencies. (40mSec ~ 1 sec).

It can make typing on a web page a real pain in the a**. Since
it keeps looking like things are frozen (due to retries). I think I'd
prefer fewer dropped packets and a slower speed. It would
create a much more usable link.

Maybe it's time to try DSL.

--

Joe Garvey
jgarvey at us.ibm.com

                      H Brett Bolen
                      <brettb at trilug.or        To:       Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org>
                      g>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [TriLUG] roadrunner woes
                      trilug-bounces at tr
                      ilug.org

                      10/16/2003 02:32
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Triangle Linux
                      Users Group
                      discussion list

I've been a big fan or roadrunner so far, but lately my cable
modem has been on the fritz.

roadrunner came out this week and said my signal level was
borderline.  The made some adjustments to help, but I'm
still having problems.

I remember somebody mentioning you could telnet to the cable
modem ( maybe it was a web page), and you could get stats
on it.

Does anybody remember how to do this?  What is a good
signal metric?

does anybody know of roadrunner has been making changes in
johnston county neare clayton?

thanks.