[TriLUG] Setting up a secure mail server with Postfix (SMTP AUTH), Dovecot, Squirrelmail, etc

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Mon Oct 20 19:19:01 EDT 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> Postfix / SASL / SMTP AUTH:
>
> * Postfix had already been configured for normal mail server operation.  This
>   means that mail was being accepted for the domain on port 25, outgoing mail
>   works fine, server is not an open relay, etc.
> * Goal is to allow relaying only when authenticated, and only allow
>   authentication while secured behind SSL
> * This turned out to be quite annoying, but I finally figured it all out. The
>   Postfix RPMs in RHL 9 don't work right.  I downloaded postfix-2.0.11-5.src.rpm
>   from rawhide and rebuilt with "rpmbuild --rebuild" ; this worked fine
> * Much more information on this topic here; don't be fooled by the strange
>   URL, this is an excellent HOWTO:
> 	https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=94312

GAAAAH!

Darn it, Jeremy, now I have to kill you.

You send this *one day* after I gave up on getting SASL to work with
postfix on redhat 9 and implemented sendmail on our new mail server.  :P

I don't know how RH's RPMs differ from the official unofficial RPMs for
postfix, but if that's the difference to make things work, I'm now
"officially" pulling my hair out and screaming at the monitor.  =)

I suppose it's time to set up another maintenance window and switch
everything back to postfix if I can.  <grin>